Tavern Cave was well known to the Indians, French and Spanish trappers
and traders before Lewis and Clark visited.
Lewis and Clark visited the cave on May 23, 1804
" we passed a large Cave on the Ldb. Side
(called by the french the Tavern) - about 120 feet wide 40 feet Deep &
20 feet high many different immages are Painted on the Rock at the
place The Inds. and French pay omage. Many names are wrote on
the rock, Stoped about one mile above for Capt. Lewis who had assended the
Clifts ... hanging over the waters... near falling from the Pinecles of
rocks 300 feet, he caught at 20 foot".