Designed to protect occupant from elements and enemies. Each round
lodge held several families. Each family had its own bed or beds next to the outer
wall. A fire ring was located in the center, under a smoke hole in the ceiling
covered with a twig screen.
October 27, 1804 Clark's Journal Entry describes the lodge:
" ... the houses are round and very large containing several families, as
also their horses which is tied on one side of the entrance"
PICTURE SOURCE: (State Historical Society of North Dakota)