Lewis and Clark camped on the west bank below an island in the middle of the
Missouri River near Chamberlain, " Passed an island about the middle of the river.
It is a mile long and has a great proportion of cedar on it."
Today the entire island is gone; flooded by the waters of the
Camp Pleasant/Plumb Camp
September 17, 1804
Lewis' Journal Entry
"One quarter of a mile in rear of our camp which was situated in a fine open
grove of cotton wood passed a grove of plumb trees loaded with fruit and now
Lewis and Clark named the area along the Missouri River
"Camp Pleasant" when they camped in 1804 and again in 1806 ... "we had not
proceeded far before Saw a large plumb orchd. of the most delicious plumbs..." 1806.