On December 8, 1805, the expedition members began to build a
fort. By Christmas Eve they were under shelter. They named the fort for the
friendly local Indian tribe, the Clatsops. The members of the Lewis
and Clark expedition remained at
Fort Clatsop until March 23, 1806.
Life at the fort was far from pleasant. It rained every day but 12 of
the 106 days at the Fort. Perhaps the most important activity
undertaken during their winter here was the reworking of the journals by the
leaders, and the preparation of organized accounts of the scientific data
gathered during the journey.
Here also, Clark prepared many of the
maps which were among the most significant contributions of the
Inside the Visitor Center is a life-size bronze statue,
Stanley Wanlass, features Lewis with arms spread, a
Clatsop Indian showing Clark a flounder, Clark with
sketching the fish, and Seaman looking on. This statue was commissioned
for the 175th L&C anniversary.